Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League

The Greatest Baseball Mogul League on the Web

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trading Draft Picks

Go down 
5 posters

Do you think we should be able to trade draft picks?
Yes
Trading Draft Picks Vote_lcap57%Trading Draft Picks Vote_rcap
 57% [ 8 ]
No
Trading Draft Picks Vote_lcap43%Trading Draft Picks Vote_rcap
 43% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2538
Registration date : 2006-10-08

Trading Draft Picks Empty
PostSubject: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 4:03 pm

Do you think we should be able to trade draft picks?
Back to top Go down
https://baseballmogul2007.editboard.com
defense
Admin
Admin
defense

Number of posts : 1763
GM : D'backs
Favorite Athlete : Rick Dipietro
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 4:05 pm

I have no farm system, and am still saying no.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pie1231
thrower25usr

thrower25usr

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2006-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 5:40 pm

im not gonna vote yet because there has to be an arguement for and against it but i dont see why anyone would care
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 5:46 pm

I voted yes, if nothing else this can be viewed as "player to be named later". Plus anything that makes trades easier or makes for more trading is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 6:36 pm

thrower25usr wrote:
im not gonna vote yet because there has to be an arguement for and against it but i dont see why anyone would care
It makes it more realistic and it makes sure that teams get second round picks for compensation.
Back to top Go down
PadresGM

PadresGM

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2006-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2007 2:39 am

I don't see how this makes it more realistic - this doesn't happen in baseball. FA comp is a different issue.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2007 11:43 am

PadresGM wrote:
I don't see how this makes it more realistic - this doesn't happen in baseball. FA comp is a different issue.
Not trading picks makes it more realistic and if you trade your second and third round pick and then sign an A free agent, the other team gets screwed over.
Back to top Go down
PadresGM

PadresGM

Number of posts : 386
Registration date : 2006-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2007 12:34 pm

You weren't clear which side of the fence you were arguing from, that was the problem I think. I think trading picks is just messy and unneccessary. No way should we allow it.
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2007 2:29 pm

I understand the desire to be as realistic as possible, however, if that were the case:
we'd have 50 draft picks instead of 6

there would be multi million dollar signing bonuses for top picks.

we'd have to fill each minor league team with 25 players, instead of some people only having a few position players or pitchers at each level.

the top draft picks would be less of a sure thing, and late round picks would have more potential to be future stars.

In order to get draft pick compensation you'd have to offer the player arbitration and have them refuse it.

I'm sure there are other things, but just looking at these how "realistic" is our current draft process and free agent compensation system? I think the key issue with trading draft picks is the compensation issue. Here is my issue with that. If you look at the real MLB vs BM ...

In MLB you get 1 pick out of the other teams 50, plus potentially a sandwich pick. So you are getting 2% of that team's draft picks. Currently in our league you are getting 1 of their 6, so 16% of their draft picks. In addition how sure of a thing is a MLB draft pick? I would argue that in our league a 2nd round pick is much more likely to be a major league caliber player. So my argument for reworking our compensation system is that the value you are getting in compensation picks is much much much higher than in MLB. This is due to the huge % of your picks that you lose for signing a free agent and the higher value a 2nd round pick has in BM compared to MLB.

I believe trading draft picks is good for our league. We have far less minor league players to trade, and I think in general trading is one of the best parts of our league, there are more trades in general and more big name trades in our league than in MLB, and once you realize you aren’t going to compete during the current season trading is all that really keeps you active in the league. Trading draft picks makes this easier to do. I think the compensation issue is the main reason MLB teams can't trade picks, so I'd suggest the following reworking of the draft pick compensation issue for us. If that’s done there should be no reason not to trade picks, and due to the large # of trades made last year that included picks I’d say it’s something people want to be able to do.

In order to make our compensation system more fair I'd suggest changing to something like what I have below to make the value of what you lose for signing a free agent more “realistic” and comparable to MLB:

Make A level free agents 93+, B level 88-92
If you lose an A level free agent you get a sandwich pick after round 1 and 2 million dollars. If you lose a B level free agent you get 1 million dollars.

In addition the player should be on your roster for at least a season and a half before you can get compensation for him.

Basically I think this is closer to the value of what a MLB team loses for signing an A or B free agent. Do you really think a MLB team would be as likely to sign an A free agent if they were going to lose 8 draft picks (1/6 of their 50) including 1 that would probably end up being a high 80’s – low 90’s peak player in BM (2nd round pick will probably get somewhere close to this in BM if put in a decent farm system.)

I think if you’re willing to look at reworking the compensation system then trading draft picks makes sense. In addition it makes the compensation system “more realistic”. It wouldn’t be set up the same, but the value you are getting/giving is closer to MLB.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trading Draft Picks
Page 1 of 1