Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League

The Greatest Baseball Mogul League on the Web

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trading Draft Picks

Go down 
+3
uscsteve
tunit
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2538
Registration date : 2006-10-08

Trading Draft Picks Empty
PostSubject: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 3:57 pm

I dont think we should trade draft picks anymore. You cant do this in real life and I dont think we should in this league.

What is everyones opinion on this? Its not a big deal if you guys still want to trade draft picks, so I will leave it up to the league.
Back to top Go down
https://baseballmogul2007.editboard.com
tunit
Admin
Admin
tunit

Number of posts : 1061
GM : New York Mets

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 4:41 pm

It can get complicated... I honestly don't mind it either way, we should probably have a spreadsheet of who's got who's pick (if we don't already have one already)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ipbnation.com
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

Number of posts : 1148
GM : Washington Nationals
Favorite Athlete : myself
Registration date : 2006-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 4:44 pm

True, major league baseball cannot trade picks, but unlike the other sports that draft, the baseball draft picks over 1000 players overall in 50 rounds. It is much harder to project players in the real Major League draft. This draft is only 6 rounds and it is easier to project players, in my opinion, although there are still no sure things. I could live with it either way but I don't think we should take it away because the real Major Leagues don't trade picks. This draft doesn't mirror theirs at all.
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:14 pm

I say allow trading them. I can't see how it hurts anything, other than that it needs to be tracked better. As far as positives it's just another option that can be used in trades. Anything that makes trading easier makes for a more active league.

I agree with usc about the 50 rounds thing, but in addition you have to consider the number of minor leaguers each team has. In the "real" MLB each minor league has a full roster, so you are looking at 100 players in each teams farm system. I only have 40 or so, and i'm sure there are teams with less than that.

I'm hoping we keep this, and if so I would recommend a "pinned" message in the approved trades that can be updated each time a draft pick is involved in a trade in addition to a spreadsheet.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:24 pm

If a team is planning on signing an A free agent, they could trade their second round pick and get extra value when they really shouldnt.
Back to top Go down
SanjiWatsuki
League Official
League Official
SanjiWatsuki

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2006-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:23 pm

Eh. No real opinion on this.
Back to top Go down
thesoxrock34

thesoxrock34

Number of posts : 680
GM : Red Sox
Favorite Athlete : David Ortiz
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 pm

We should get rid of it. It makes things too confuzing and you cant trade picks in the MLB
Back to top Go down
defense
Admin
Admin
defense

Number of posts : 1763
GM : D'backs
Favorite Athlete : Rick Dipietro
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:51 pm

Get rid of it. Makes everything too confusing
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pie1231
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 9:07 pm

I don't see how it's confusing. Just create a post for traded picks and add to it each time a pick is traded. When the draft comes around pick the player the person who gained a pick wanted and trade him to that team after the draft. As a team that had to rebuild I can say this is a huge benefit. This year I added 2 first round picks, 3 2nds (1 next year), a 3rd, and a 4th.

If we were doing a complete copy of the real MLB we'd have 50 picks, and we'd have to have a completely stocked and manned AAA, AA, A, and R league team. There'd be more potential future stars from those other than the can't miss pool. Instead we have only 6 rds. Being able to trade for picks makes up for that.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 9:18 pm

It would be easy to monitor it if you made a sticky at the top of the page. It really wouldn't be hard at all. The only issue should be is if you want to allow it or not. I have no problem with it and the argument that the Majors can't do it is worthless because the farm systems and the draft isn't close to real life.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:06 pm

So what if a team plans to sign A free agents so they just trade off their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks?
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 pm

I like the possibility Sanji brought up of teams not losing picks for signing free agents, but for a bonus sandwich round for players that lose them. That would mean we wouldn't have to worry about them trading their picks to avoid giving it up. Otherwise, there's a problem, yes.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:16 pm

uscsteve wrote:
I like the possibility Sanji brought up of teams not losing picks for signing free agents, but for a bonus sandwich round for players that lose them. That would mean we wouldn't have to worry about them trading their picks to avoid giving it up. Otherwise, there's a problem, yes.
This will only give big market teams even more reasons to sign A free agents.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:18 pm

We can look into increasing the revenue sharing to diminish the big/small market difference.
Back to top Go down
tunit
Admin
Admin
tunit

Number of posts : 1061
GM : New York Mets

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:43 pm

uscsteve wrote:
We can look into increasing the revenue sharing to diminish the big/small market difference.

I don't see how that makes a huge difference...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ipbnation.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trading Draft Picks   Trading Draft Picks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trading Draft Picks
Page 1 of 1