Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League

The Greatest Baseball Mogul League on the Web

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

Number of posts : 1148
GM : Washington Nationals
Favorite Athlete : myself
Registration date : 2006-12-12

Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Empty
PostSubject: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 3:02 pm

Just thought of it couple days ago and wanted to write it down so I didn't forget. What happens if a team is bidding on a type A free agent but has already dealt their #2 pick in the draft. Would they be unable to sign a type A player? Or can we come up with some sort of alternate plan, maybe they'd have to give up a 1st rounder the following year and a sandwich in the present. Just an idea but we should address this before it happens.
Back to top Go down
tunit
Admin
Admin
tunit

Number of posts : 1061
GM : New York Mets
Registration date : 2006-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 4:43 pm

I don't think someone should be penalized for trading their 2nd round pick (and lose a very important first round pick in the process)

Of course this isn't responding to the whole point (I have yet to comprehend it), but just your points stuck out at me...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ipbnation.com
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2538

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 4:59 pm

If the second pick is gone then they get the third pick, if thats gone they get the 4th pick and so on.
Back to top Go down
https://baseballmogul2007.editboard.com
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:16 pm

I don't think that would be good. It would penalize some teams losing those type A free agents and only encourage people to deal their draft picks if they are wanting to go after some nice free agents.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:21 pm

uscsteve wrote:
I don't think that would be good. It would penalize some teams losing those type A free agents and only encourage people to deal their draft picks if they are wanting to go after some nice free agents.
Thats how they do it irl. If a team signs two A free agents, the team who let go the "worse" player gets a third round pick.

And also, another reason to get rid of trading draft picks is b/c people could plan to sign an A free agent so they trade their second round pick b/c they wouldnt use it anyways.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:27 pm

Yeah, that's why we need to discuss both topics. In real life, there is no trading draft picks so you know that you'll get comped for that 2nd rounder or whatever they do if you lose at least one guy.
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:47 pm

I don't exactly understand this process as I wasn't here for it last year. Are you saying if I sign a 95 player I lose my actual 2nd rd pick to the team that lost him? Or is the 2nd rd now a compensation rd and the 3rd rd is actually when you use your 2nd rd pick? I'll weigh in with an opinion once i understand.

If that doesn't make sense, if I sign a 95 player that was previously on Colorado.... does Colorado now have my 2nd rd pick, or does Colorado get a pick in the 2nd rd, which is now a compensation round, and I still have my "2nd rd" pick, which would actually be the third round in the game?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:49 pm

jcclemen2 wrote:
I don't exactly understand this process as I wasn't here for it last year. Are you saying if I sign a 95 player I lose my actual 2nd rd pick to the team that lost him? Or is the 2nd rd now a compensation rd and the 3rd rd is actually when you use your 2nd rd pick? I'll weigh in with an opinion once i understand.

If that doesn't make sense, if I sign a 95 player that was previously on Colorado.... does Colorado now have my 2nd rd pick, or does Colorado get a pick in the 2nd rd, which is now a compensation round, and I still have my "2nd rd" pick, which would actually be the third round in the game?
I would get a sandwich pick which is in between round 1 and round 2, and then i get your 2nd round pick. There is only 5 rounds in the draft, but since there arent 30 A free agents, I fill in the rest of the draft with the picks going to the teams which lost the best B free agents.
Back to top Go down
SanjiWatsuki
League Official
League Official
SanjiWatsuki

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2006-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Do we really need to TAKE picks? Can't we add a sandwich round?
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 pm

so there are 5 rounds in the draft... which in the game is rounds 1, 3,4,5,6. Then the second rd in the game is used for 30 sandwich picks, which first go to teams losing an "A" level free agent, then the remaining picks go to the teams losing the best of the "B" level free agents? Am I following correctly?
Back to top Go down
SanjiWatsuki
League Official
League Official
SanjiWatsuki

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2006-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 8:35 pm

In my opinion, keep the original 6 rounds. Between rounds 1 and 2 give teams who could be considered for compensation get their sandwich picks. These players are protected.

Team B (RD1 PK30) chooses Bob Bobby.
*SANDWICH ROUND*
Team A "picks" John Johnny. (He isn't drafted, but he is protected.)
Team C "picks" Sanji Sanjison. (Once against, Sanji is protected.)

*Draft continues until the end of Round 6*

*All undrafted draftees hit free agencies*

*Protected players are signed ingame to the teams that protected them. Their contracts are altered to draft day contracts.*

Something like that. Trading draft picks isn't disallowed and it doesn't interfere with sandwich picks.
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 9:29 pm

How many A free agents were there last year? And how do you handle the draft, do you make the picks in the game itself, or do you track it on a spreadsheet or something and make the picks later?
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Good idea Sanji even though I had to read it over again to understand it. This appears to eliminate the class B free agency compensation that we have had. We coudl still keep that as Round 6 if we wanted too without a problem.

Basically, teams only get a sandwich pick and teams that sign free agents do not have to give up any picks. So instead of 2 picks, you only get 1. This is actually the way I thought it was until just a few days ago when Robb told me it was different. I think I would prefer this way to keep it just at one pick.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 10:09 pm

jcclemen2 wrote:
so there are 5 rounds in the draft... which in the game is rounds 1, 3,4,5,6. Then the second rd in the game is used for 30 sandwich picks, which first go to teams losing an "A" level free agent, then the remaining picks go to the teams losing the best of the "B" level free agents? Am I following correctly?
No, there are only a few picks in between round 1 and 2 for the A compensation. The extra picks at the end of the draft are used for teams who lost the best B free agents.
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 2:45 am

The A free agent thing came up in the trading draft picks thread, but this seems like the appropriate place for posting...

Without knowing how many A free agents there were last offseason and how they came to be free agents does this make any sense... If I have a player that I know is going to be an "A" free agent and I don't resign him...

If he is doing well or on the way to a good season, if I'm going to keep him his contract demands will continue to increase throughout the year. If I'm going to keep him I need to sign him early in the year. In fact I can pretty much monitor what it's going to cost to resign him at all times to judge whether it's going up or down. There's no reason I should be surprised to lose him at the end of the season. It's not like I'm waiting for the end of the season to see if he'll resign or if he wants to "test" free agency or if he really wants to go someplace where it's warmer/colder. It's completely up to me in this case.

If I'm not going to resign him my best bet is to trade him prior to the trade deadline. I can probably get quite a bit more than a 2nd rd and sandwich pick for a truly good player. Correct? Once again if I'm running my team well I probably know whether I'm planning to keep him. If I don't plan on keeping him, and don't make a move here I don't know that rewarding this team with an extra pick is a good thing.

The only time I should hold onto him is if I'm not going to keep him, but I'm in a playoff race. Has this been the case for losing A level free agents at the end of the year in the majority of the past cases? I would think that it's not, and it's more often than not an inactive owner or poorly performing owner. I mean I know personally there is no way I'd have kept Duncan or Bay all season knowing from Day 1 I couldn't compete, then just let them go at the end of the year and be happy knowing I'm getting 1 or 2 2nd roundish type picks for losing him.

So maybe it's just me, but I say owners should be trading these players anyway so why give them 2 or even 1 pick(s) for not doing this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings   Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible issue to discuss in offseason meetings
Page 1 of 1