Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Outahere Sports Baseball Mogul 2007 League

The Greatest Baseball Mogul League on the Web

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency

Go down 
+3
cb4magiccb4
Cincinnati GM
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2538
Registration date : 2006-10-08

Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Empty
PostSubject: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 6:19 pm

Does anyone else think we should move these settings down to +10 or +20?
Back to top Go down
https://baseballmogul2007.editboard.com
Cincinnati GM

Cincinnati GM

Number of posts : 339
Favorite Athlete : David Eckstein
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 7:38 pm

I understand what Injury Frequency does. What does
Draft Predictability mean?

-Cinci'
Back to top Go down
cb4magiccb4

cb4magiccb4

Number of posts : 111
GM : Indians
Favorite Athlete : Morris Peterson
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 7:57 pm

Injury frequency could likely go down some. Seems like players are constantly injured in Mogul. Not sure what draft predictability is though, lol.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

Number of posts : 1148
GM : Washington Nationals
Favorite Athlete : myself
Registration date : 2006-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm

Isn't draft predictability only for if you have computer teams?
Back to top Go down
tunit
Admin
Admin
tunit

Number of posts : 1061
GM : New York Mets

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 11:07 pm

cb4magiccb4 wrote:
Injury frequency could likely go down some. Seems like players are constantly injured in Mogul. Not sure what draft predictability is though, lol.

I have had the second highest medical spending for 2 straight years and my guys always seem to be going down...

Key Injuries, Mets:

2007:

Carlos Beltran
Hanley Ramirez
Tom Glavine

2008:

Carlos Beltran
Hanley Ramirez
John Maine

Hmmm.... these guys don't have amazingly low injury stats either...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ipbnation.com
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 1:43 am

I don't know what these settings are in our league, but here are some that can be changed, including draft predictability and injury settings

Amateur Draft Talent Level
Sets the talent level of the average player available in the Amateur Draft.

Draft Predictability
Sets the reliability of the scouting ratings for players in the Amateur Draft. If this is set to '-100%', there will be a high number of players that look great on draft day but don't develop into successful players. Similarly, a large number of star players will come from later rounds in the draft.
In contrast, if this is set to '+100%', virtually all future star players will be easily identifiable on draft day (and thus, they will tend to get picked in the first round or two).

Hall Of Fame Careers
Determines how easy it is for a superstar to maintain a high level of performance for an entire career. If this is set to '+100%', star players will tend to stay as star players for most of their career (and mediocre players will stay mediocre).

In contrast, if this is set to '-100%', star players will frequently "fall back to earth" (and mediocre players will more easily boost their production). This would, for example, lead to fewer players having 300 career wins or hitting 600 home runs.

(To adjust the level of single-season records, you should use the Simulation Settings Dialog).

Thus, although this setting doesn't change the overall talent level in a league, it does affect the number of true "Hall Of Fame Careers" that are generated.

Player Personality / Happiness

Effect on Negotiating
Every player's negotiating style is affected by his personality traits and by his happiness with his current team. This setting lets you increase or reduce the magnitude of these effects.

Effect on Performance
In Baseball Mogul, a player's performance will improve over time if he is happy, and decline if he is unhappy. This settings lets you eliminate this effect entirely (by choosing '-100%') or adjust the magnitude of the effect.

League Revenue
Sets the amount of revenue coming into the league.

Salary Demands
Sets the salary demands of Baseball Mogul players from -100% (very low salaries) to +100% (twice normal salary levels).

Injury Frequency
Sets the frequency of injuries from -100% (no injuries) to +100% (twice as many injuries).

Injury Severity
Sets the average severity of each injury from -100% (no injuries) to +100% (longer-lasting and more damaging injuries).
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 4:04 pm

Draft Predictibility is how likely a player is to reach their peak. The lower the setting, the more likely a big prospect is to bust and a crappy prospect becomes good.
Back to top Go down
defense
Admin
Admin
defense

Number of posts : 1763
GM : D'backs
Favorite Athlete : Rick Dipietro
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 4:22 pm

tunit wrote:
cb4magiccb4 wrote:

I have had the second highest medical spending for 2 straight years and my guys always seem to be going down...

Key Injuries, Mets:

2007:

Carlos Beltran
Hanley Ramirez
Tom Glavine

2008:

Carlos Beltran
Hanley Ramirez
John Maine

Hmmm.... these guys don't have amazingly low injury stats either...
Highest medical payroll doesn't prevent the players from becoming injured. It just takes less time for them to recover. Just a bit of irony, and bad luck there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pie1231
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 4:22 pm

I don't like decreasing draft predictability because this gives a huge advantage to guys that sim out future seasons. And I'm included in that group, I just want it to be fair to everyone and I think that is easier to do by keeping draft predictability higher rather than lower.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 4:25 pm

uscsteve wrote:
I don't like decreasing draft predictability because this gives a huge advantage to guys that sim out future seasons. And I'm included in that group, I just want it to be fair to everyone and I think that is easier to do by keeping draft predictability higher rather than lower.
That would make it harder when you sim ahead because the rating changes are more random
Back to top Go down
defense
Admin
Admin
defense

Number of posts : 1763
GM : D'backs
Favorite Athlete : Rick Dipietro
Registration date : 2006-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Admin wrote:
Draft Predictibility is how likely a player is to reach their peak. The lower the setting, the more likely a big prospect is to bust and a crappy prospect becomes good.
I like it like that. It brings a bit of flavor to the end of the draft. Just to know that the end of the draft matters. And that a fifth round pick could be better than a first rounder.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/pie1231
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:00 pm

From my understanding, simming would still be accurate as to the player's potentials. It would just make it harder to judge based on the ratings at the draft. I think each player has an intrinsic growth potential that wouldn't change from sim to sim.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:02 pm

Its not only for the draft, its for all of the prospects
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:10 pm

My point is that simming would still be accurate to determine potential of any prospect.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Not necessarily, there is a greater chance that the players dont reach their full potential in your sims, so have the time they bust, and half the time they dont.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:20 pm

well if it effects the current prospects and not just the draft class I think lowering that would be unfair because it would decrease the value of the prospects that many have made trades for. Yes, I'm including myself and my nice farm system.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Some of your crappier prospects will pan out so it evens out.

It would be much more realistic if all the prospects dont reach their peak, or come close to their peak.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:32 pm

Well the thing is, I got rid of my crappier prospects. Plus, if we lower it, I'd really like to get all those prospects back from Sanji. That could perhaps be the deal affected most. I really think we should just leave it, it's not like it's been a problem.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:41 pm

I would have no problem lowering it if it only affected upcoming drafts but when it affects prospects already on teams, too much has been traded and planned out involving these guys to change their worth.
Back to top Go down
jcclemen2

jcclemen2

Number of posts : 1395
GM : Baltimore
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:48 pm

i'm against... if it was somehow tied to your team's scouting that would be one thing, but pure luck of the draw doesn't do much for me. If there was some skill in picking out traits that were more likely to be indicators of success it would be worth looking into, but I don't think that's the case.

I think another potential affect could be a decrease in trades... if there is less likelyhood of a prospect panning out there will be less reason to trade proven players.

I'm not sure if it's the case, but this could make farm system spending even more important. If that influences the outcome of prospects moreso with this different setting it's yet another large market advantage in that they will have more money to spend.
Back to top Go down
cb4magiccb4

cb4magiccb4

Number of posts : 111
GM : Indians
Favorite Athlete : Morris Peterson
Registration date : 2007-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 5:57 pm

Imo I think we should leave the draft predictability and lower the injury frequency slightly. Keep it simple Wink
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 9:46 pm

It would get extremely boring and predictable if first round picks would become 90s, second round picks become 80s, etc. It would also add some realism to the game. Prospects are waited to highly in trades, b/c you know what peak they will reach.
Back to top Go down
uscsteve
League Official
League Official
uscsteve

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Well it's not always predictable the way it is now. But you have to understand with all the trades that teams have done, use mine as an example, that certain people would be extremely disappointed about the prospects they have acquired having a lesser shot to reach their potentials. There is still unpredictability involved with draft picks and prospects, the way you bring them up has a lot to do with their progression. I just think this is an area that we shouldn't change once the league has been going on for some time. Draft predictability, in my opinion, is an area that should be decided at the beginning of a league, not altered in the middle of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency   Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Draft Predictability and Injury Frequency
Page 1 of 1